What are the Benefits of a PCQI?
The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) was signed into law in 2011. The goal is to make the food supply in the USA is safe by shifting the focus of federal regulators from responding to contamination to prevention.
The majority of food processors are required to have a Food Safety Plan that has been prepared by a “Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)”. This means that companies need to have a PCQI in place quickly so they can prepare and implement the Food Safety Plan.
The benefits of having a trained PCQI include compliance with Federal Regulations and strengthening the company’s food safety program.
- The PCQI will be trained to understand and help the company comply with FSMA regulations.
- The PCQI will be trained to write the required Food Safety Plan which focuses on preventing food illness.
- The PCQI will also implement the plan and monitor it to make sure it is effective
- The PCQI can lead others to better understand food safety and how to produce safe food as well as to foster a food safety culture in the company.
The PCQI Training includes training on
- Good Manufacturing Practices and other Prerequisite Programs
- Biological Food Safety Hazards
- Chemical, Physical, and Economically Motivated Food Safety Hazards
- Preliminary Steps in Developing a Food Safety Plan
- Resources for Food Safety Plans
- Hazard Analysis and Preventive Controls Determination
- Process Preventive Controls
- Food Allergen Preventive Controls
- Sanitation Preventive Controls
- Supply Chain Preventive Controls
- Verification and Validation Procedures
- Record-Keeping Procedures
- Recall Plan