ISO 22000 is not recognized by GFSI, however a certification scheme that uses ISO 22000 as part of its requirements is. This certification is FSSC 22000, and it is recognized by GFSI.
It is beneficial to choose a GFSI recognized certification scheme because many food manufacturers and retailers require certification to a recognized scheme. Most companies will benefit more from a GFSI recognized certification than one that is not. If you are considering ISO 22000 you will want to evaluate FSSC 22000 as well and determine if a GFSI recognized certification is best for your organization.
- FSSC 22000 is recognized by GFSI, and uses ISO 22000 and ISO/TS 22002-1 as the requirements for certification
- ISO 22000 contains the food safety management system requirements and is used along with requirements for prerequisite programs for the appropriate industry sector.
- ISO/TS 22002-1 contains the requirements for prerequisite programs (PRPs) for food manufacturers
- PAS 223 contains prerequisite programs for food packaging manufacturers
- Other prerequisite program documents will be used to expand the scope of FSSC 22000
- If your company needs a GFSI Recognized Certification, use FSSC 22000 instead of ISO 22000
The requirements for FSSC 22000 Certification are found in the two documents we discussed above. Lets take a look at what is in these two documents:
ISO 22000: Contains the food safety management system requirements. The standard has specific requirements for:
- General requirements for the food safety management system
- Documentation: document and records control
- Management responsibility: management commitment, a food safety policy, food safety management system planning, responsibility and authority, food safety team leader, communication, emergency preparedness and response and management review
- Resource management: provision of resources, human resources, infrastructure and work environment
- Planning and realization of safe products: prerequisite programs (PRPs), preliminary steps for hazard analysis, hazard analysis, operational prerequisite programs (oPRPs), the HACCP plan, updating of information and documents for HACCP, verification planning, traceability and control of nonconformity
- Validation, verification and improvement of the food safety management system: validation of control measures, control of monitoring and measuring, food safety management system verification, improvement
ISO/TS 22002-1: Contains the requirements for prerequisite programs (PRPs), programs to maintain a clean and hygienic environment capable of producing safe product including requirements for:
- Construction and layout of buildings
- Layout of premises and workspace
- Utilities - air, water, energy
- Waste disposal
- Equipment suitability, cleaning and maintenance
- Management of purchased materials
- Measures for prevention of cross contamination
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Pest control
- Personnel hygiene and employee facilities
- Product recall procedures
- Product information and consumer awareness
- Food defense, biovigillance and bioterrorism
In order to achieve certification to FSSC 22000 processes must be designed, implemented and documented to meet the requirements for each of the processes above. Once the system has been fully designed, documented and implemented, the organization is ready to have the certification audit.
There is also an FSSC 22000 document that contains requirements for the system as well. There are only a few requirements in this document, but your company will need to address them. The document can be downloaded at www.fssc22000.com and is called "Part I Requirements for organizations that require certification".
FSSC 22000 Certification Audits
You will schedule the certification audits with the certification body you choose. An auditor will come to your facility to do several audits:
- Preassessment (optional)
- Stage 1 - review documented system and conduct audit to determine readiness to move forward with Stage 2 audit
- Stage 2 - a thorough audit of the system against the standard and the company's documented procedures to measure compliance
- Surveillance - once each year the auditor will conduct a surveillance audit to ensure continued compliance
Preparing for Certification
FSSC 22000 Premium Online All-in-One Package:
- Document templates, checklists, implementation plans, tutorials, step by step guidance and online training programs to help you through each step of the implementation process