SQF Implementation Plan: Document and Records Control
A document control process must be in place to ensure that all the Food Safety System documents are approved, up-to-date and available to those who need to use them. A records control process is needed to ensure that all records are properly recorded, maintained, protected and retrievable.
Review the SQF Code:
The requirements for document and records control are found in section 2.2 of the SQF Code.
Procedure: P-220 Document Control and Records
Forms: F-220-001 Master Document List, F-220-002 Document Change Request Form,
F-220-003 Document Revision Checklist, F-220-004 Records List
- Make sure that the food safety system is documented, and the documents controlled
- Determine what system will be used for document control, hardcopy system or electronic system
- Include the food safety manual, procedures, work instruction, GMPs and other related documentation in the system
- Make sure that only the current, approved copy of documents is available to those who need them.
- Designate a document control coordinator to maintain the master list, coordinate document creation, revision, approval and distribution
- Include documents of external origin including any instructions or other information so it can be kept current. Include the SQF Code.
- Document a procedure describing the steps and responsibilities for document control
- Include required documentation: A food safety manual, procedures, work instructions, GMP documentation, test methods and other documents.
- Identify how forms will be controlled
- Make sure that documents are accessible to those who need them
- Have a method in place to track where controlled hard copies of documents are so they can be replaced when updated.
- Define a method for control of records to make sure they are properly completed, maintained protected and retrievable.
- Identify retention times for records
First Team Meeting Agenda:
- Review the requirements of the SQF Code, and the responsibilities listed in this plan.
- Review the example procedure and forms. The procedure describes a process that can be used to address the tasks on the Master Project Plan. You will use that as a starting point, and make changes to customize the process for your organization and method of doing things.
- Review the tasks on the Master Implementation Plan form for your team.
- Set up a team meeting schedule to assign and complete these tasks. Meeting weekly or every other week at the same time is an effective method.
Future Action Items:
- When the items have been addressed, or plans are in place to address them, work to revise the procedure to reflect your new, compliant process. Revise the forms as needed.
- When completed, submit your new documentation (Procedure, Related Forms, List of Records) and your completed plan to the SQF Practitioner for review and approval.
- List any additional records (not listed in the procedure already) that should be retained for your process on the table below so they can be incorporated into the records table. Share this table with the Document Control and Records team.
Our SQF Template Package includes MS Word versions of all the implementation plans, along with the forms and procedures referenced. The SQF Template Package is available in:
SQF Practitioner Training & Implementation Package
Fulfill the SQF Edition 9 training requirements for an SQF Practitioner. Learn the requirements of SQF. Work with the requirements in interactive exercises to understand how to implement, document, and audit an SQF system.
SQF for the Practitioner + HACCP Certification Training Package
Perfect for the SQF Practitioner: Training on SQF Requirements and HACCP.
Master the SQF Edition 9 Code Requirements. This course is for management, Food Safety team members, and anyone who wants to understand the requirements of the SQF Food Safety Code.
SQF Internal Auditor Training
Gain the qualifications you need to become an SQF 9 Internal Auditor and audit your company's SQF system effectively and with confidence
Food Safety Culture
Learn how to measure and improve your company’s food safety culture. This course covers concepts and actions you can take to embed food safety more fully into the behavior, beliefs, and attitudes of all employees at your organization.
SQF Template Package
Learn to plan and document your Food Safety Management System with SQF Manual, Procedure, and Form Templates. The templates are downloadable and ready to customize for your organization.
SQF Premium Training & Implementation Package
This cost-saving training package includes training for your SQF Practitioner, food safety team, internal auditors and employees.
SQF Corporate Training Package
This cost-saving training package for larger or multi-site companies includes training for your SQF Practitioner, food safety team, internal auditors, and employees.
Food Safety Culture Maturity Assessment Tool
Measure your organization’s current food safety culture maturity to get a clear picture of what is going well and where improvement is needed. Learn what steps you can take to make improvements in all the components that drive food safety culture.
Production Workers: GMP Essentials
Get your production team the up-to-date essential food safety GMP training they need and your business deserves.