SQF Implementation Plan: Management Commitment
Senior site management has been assigned specific responsibilities by the SQF code. Senior site management is typically defined as the group of people who direct and control an organization at the highest level. This group has the authority to devote resources to the implementation, maintenance and improvement of the SQF System. Use top management to develop and implement this process.
You may also want to use the same group as a Steering Team for the SQF Implementation Process. Include the SQF Practitioner on the Steering Team. Meet regularly during the implementation project to review the progress of the individual implementation teams. The master project plan is a good tool to use to track progress and keep the project on track.
Review the SQF Code:
The requirements for management responsibility are found in section 2.1 of the SQF Code.
- Procedure: P-210 Management Commitment
- Forms: F-210-001 Designated Cover Personnel
- Master Project Plan
Senior site management: Individuals at the highest level on site, responsible for the business operation and implementation and improvement of the food safety system.
- Provide resources needed to run the food safety system
- Communicate the importance of meeting customer and regulatory requirements
- Establish a food safety policy outlining the site’s commitment to supply safe food
- Communicate and display the policy, make it available in all languages used by staff
- Establish a food safety culture at the site
- Create measurable food safety objectives, document and measure the objectives
- Designate a primary and backup SQF Practitioner to be the “point person” for the system. Assign them the authority and responsibility to develop and implement the system, review system performance and maintain system integrity.
- Define the reporting structure and authorities for the organization in an organizational chart and job descriptions.
- Plan to communicate with employees to make sure that the requirements of the SQF system are adopted by each employee.
- Communicate food safety responsibilities to all employees.
- Establish the training needs of employees (do this by supporting the team developing the Training Process P-290)
- Establish internal and external communication systems including informing all staff of the responsibility to report food safety problems.
- Create a system for handling customer complaints, and collecting and trending data for analysis.
- Create a crisis management plan to describe the actions that will be taken to respond to dangers or threats that could impact food safety.
- Develop a process for management review of the food safety system.
- Set up a method of monthly updates with management and the SQF Practitioner to review the performance of the system.
First Implementation Team Meeting Agenda for Management Review:
- Review the requirements of the SQF Code, and the responsibilities listed in this plan.
- Review the example procedure and forms. The procedure describes a process that can be used to address the tasks on the Master Project Plan. You will use that as a starting point, and make changes to customize the process for your organization and method of doing things.
- Review the tasks on the Master Implementation Plan form for your team.
- Set up a team meeting schedule to assign and complete these tasks. Meeting weekly or every other week at the same time is an effective method.
Future Action Items:
- When the items have been addressed, or plans are in place to address them, work to revise the procedure to reflect your new, compliant process. Revise the forms as needed.
- When completed, submit your new documentation (Procedure, Related Forms, List of Records) and your completed plan to the SQF Practitioner for review and approval.
- List any additional records (not listed in the procedure already) that should be retained for your process on the table below so they can be incorporated into the records table. Share this table with the Document Control and Records team.
Our SQF Template Package includes MS Word versions of all the implementation plans, along with the forms and procedures referenced. The SQF Template Package is available in:
SQF Practitioner Training & Implementation Package
Fulfill the SQF Edition 9 training requirements for an SQF Practitioner. Learn the requirements of SQF. Work with the requirements in interactive exercises to understand how to implement, document, and audit an SQF system.
SQF for the Practitioner + HACCP Certification Training Package
Perfect for the SQF Practitioner: Training on SQF Requirements and HACCP.
Master the SQF Edition 9 Code Requirements. This course is for management, Food Safety team members, and anyone who wants to understand the requirements of the SQF Food Safety Code.
SQF Internal Auditor Training
Gain the qualifications you need to become an SQF 9 Internal Auditor and audit your company's SQF system effectively and with confidence
Food Safety Culture
Learn how to measure and improve your company’s food safety culture. This course covers concepts and actions you can take to embed food safety more fully into the behavior, beliefs, and attitudes of all employees at your organization.
SQF Template Package
Learn to plan and document your Food Safety Management System with SQF Manual, Procedure, and Form Templates. The templates are downloadable and ready to customize for your organization.
SQF Premium Training & Implementation Package
This cost-saving training package includes training for your SQF Practitioner, food safety team, internal auditors and employees.
SQF Corporate Training Package
This cost-saving training package for larger or multi-site companies includes training for your SQF Practitioner, food safety team, internal auditors, and employees.
Food Safety Culture Maturity Assessment Tool
Measure your organization’s current food safety culture maturity to get a clear picture of what is going well and where improvement is needed. Learn what steps you can take to make improvements in all the components that drive food safety culture.
Production Workers: GMP Essentials
Get your production team the up-to-date essential food safety GMP training they need and your business deserves.