SQF Implementation Plan: Specifications, Formulations and Realization
An SQF system must have a system for managing food safety issues during product development and for documenting specifications for raw materials, ingredients and packaging materials. Specifications must be kept current.
Review SQF Code:
You will find the requirements for this process in section 2.3 of the SQF Code.
- Procedure: P-230 Specifications Formulations Realization
- Workbook: F-243-001 Master HACCP Plan Workbook
- Master Project Plan
Validation: Obtaining and evaluation scientific and technical evidence that a control measure, combination of control measures is capable of effectively controlling a hazard.
Verification: ensuring that the Pre-requisite Programs and Monitoring Activities required by the food safety plans, and food safety fundamentals are taking place as scheduled, by approved methods, trained personnel and are recorded.
- Document a procedure outlining responsibilities and methods for product development, bringing new products into production or making changes to product.
- Establish a method to make sure that new products have a HACCP/Food safety plan, and it is validated by the SQF Practitioner
- Implement a process for validating product claims.
- Identify how raw material and packaging specifications are documented and maintained.
- Create a register of specifications using the HACCP workbook
- Identify how product specifications are documented, and maintain a register of specifications.
- Document your method for validation of raw and packaging materials and verification of raw and packaging materials
First Team Meeting Agenda:
- Review the requirements of the SQF Code, and the responsibilities listed in this plan.
- Review the example procedure and forms. The procedure describes a process that can be used to address the tasks on the Master Project Plan. You will use that as a starting point, and make changes to customize the process for your organization and method of doing things.
- Review the tasks on the Master Implementation Plan form for your team.
- Set up a team meeting schedule to assign and complete these tasks. Meeting weekly or every other week at the same time is an effective method.
Future Action Items:
- When the items have been addressed, or plans are in place to address them, work to revise the procedure to reflect your new, compliant process. Revise the forms as needed.
- When completed, submit your new documentation (Procedure, Related Forms, List of Records) and your completed plan to the SQF Practitioner for review and approval.
- List any additional records (not listed in the procedure already) that should be retained for your process on the table below so they can be incorporated into the records table. Share this table with the Document Control and Records team.
Our SQF Template Package includes MS Word versions of all the implementation plans, along with the forms and procedures referenced. The SQF Template Package is available in:
SQF Practitioner Training & Implementation Package
Fulfill the SQF Edition 9 training requirements for an SQF Practitioner. Learn the requirements of SQF. Work with the requirements in interactive exercises to understand how to implement, document, and audit an SQF system.
SQF for the Practitioner + HACCP Certification Training Package
Perfect for the SQF Practitioner: Training on SQF Requirements and HACCP.
Master the SQF Edition 9 Code Requirements. This course is for management, Food Safety team members, and anyone who wants to understand the requirements of the SQF Food Safety Code.
SQF Internal Auditor Training
Gain the qualifications you need to become an SQF 9 Internal Auditor and audit your company's SQF system effectively and with confidence
Food Safety Culture
Learn how to measure and improve your company’s food safety culture. This course covers concepts and actions you can take to embed food safety more fully into the behavior, beliefs, and attitudes of all employees at your organization.
SQF Template Package
Learn to plan and document your Food Safety Management System with SQF Manual, Procedure, and Form Templates. The templates are downloadable and ready to customize for your organization.
SQF Premium Training & Implementation Package
This cost-saving training package includes training for your SQF Practitioner, food safety team, internal auditors and employees.
SQF Corporate Training Package
This cost-saving training package for larger or multi-site companies includes training for your SQF Practitioner, food safety team, internal auditors, and employees.
Food Safety Culture Maturity Assessment Tool
Measure your organization’s current food safety culture maturity to get a clear picture of what is going well and where improvement is needed. Learn what steps you can take to make improvements in all the components that drive food safety culture.
Production Workers: GMP Essentials
Get your production team the up-to-date essential food safety GMP training they need and your business deserves.